Elizabeth Mclemore HAIRSTON
HAIRSTON.org ID#73, b. 7 July 1843, d. 22 April 1930
|Father*||Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON b. 2 May 1813, d. 9 May 1863|
|Mother*||Matilda M. MARTIN b. 7 Aug 1818, d. 4 May 1854|
|Birth*||Elizabeth Mclemore HAIRSTON was born on 7 July 1843 in Marrowbone Plantation, Henry, Virginia, the 1900 Federal Census lists date of birth as July 1844.1,2,3|
|She was the daughter of Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON and Matilda M. MARTIN.|
|Census 1850||Elizabeth Mclemore HAIRSTON appeared on the 1850 census of Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON on 10 October 1850 in Henry County, Virginia; George 37, Matilda 32, Sarah L 12, Susan J 9, Elizabeth 7, George 5, Matilda 3, Joseph 1.4|
|Census 1860||Elizabeth Mclemore HAIRSTON appeared on the 1860 census of Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON on 11 September 1860 in Henry County, Virginia; Geo S 47, Sallie 22, Susan 18, Bettie 16, Geo 15, Matilda 13, Nicholas 8.5|
|Will||In Dr. George Stovall HAIRSTON's will dated 11 December 1862 in Henry County, Virginia, Elizabeth Mclemore HAIRSTON was named as an heir; Virginia Chancery Record Index, Henry Co., 1864-016.6|
|Marriage*||She married Major Samuel HALE, son of John Saunders HALE and Mary Judith EARLY, on 14 January 1864 in Henry, Virginia; He was 25 and she was 20.1,7|
|Marriage*||Elizabeth Mclemore HAIRSTON married Capt. Cyrus Hyde INGLES in November 1873.2|
|Census 1880||Elizabeth Mclemore HAIRSTON appeared on the 1880 census of Capt. Cyrus Hyde INGLES on 2 June 1880 in District 30, Page 5, Martinsville, Henry, Virginia; Cyrus H. 50, Elizabeth 36, George 5, Bessie 4, Mary L. 2, Maud 1.8|
|Census 1900*||Elizabeth Mclemore HAIRSTON appeared on the census of 1900 in District 5, Clay Ward, Richmond, Richmond City, Virginia, she is a widow and has had 5 children and 4 are still living. She has 4 boarders and 3 servants.3|
|Census 1910*||She appeared on the census of 1910 in Monroe Ward, Richmond City, Virginia.9|
|Death*||She died on 22 April 1930 in Richmond, Virginia, at age 86.|
|Burial*||She was buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Henry, Virginia.|
|Obituary*||THE HENRY BULLETIN, Martinsville, Va., Fri., May 2, 1930, p. 5, col. 5 (edited). |
Funeral services were held on Thursday afternoon for the late Mrs. Bettie Hairston Ingles, who died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Chas. H. Watkins, in Richmond Tuesday night, April 22nd, following a lingering illness, from the infirmities of old age, Mrs. Ingles being around 85 years old. Services were held at the Episcopal Church.
Mrs. Ingles was born, reared and spent most of her married life in Martinsville and Henry County, where she has many relatives and a host of friends. She is survived by her daughters, Mrs. Chas. H. Watkins, and son George Hairston Ingles, of Richmond, and the following grand children: Chas. H. Watkins and Misses Elizabeth and Katharine Watkins and Mrs. James Gallaher, all of Richmond. Relatives from Richmond, who were here for the funeral were Mrs. Chas. H. Watkins, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. H. Ingles, Mr. and Mrs. James Gallaher, Misses Elizabeth and Katharine Watkins and Mrs. Mary Darnell Harman.
(The obituary was copied from Findagrave Website page that was created by "deegraver" in 2009.)
|Major Samuel HALE b. 25 Mar 1839, d. 12 May 1864|
|Capt. Cyrus Hyde INGLES b. 11 Sep 1828, d. 9 Apr 1889|
|Charts||Descendant Chart (#1)|
Descendant Chart (#2)
Descendant Chart Box (#1)
Descendant Chart Box (#2)
- [S68] The Marriage Register of Henry County Virginia Vol I , 1853-1878, Anne Vestal-Miller, (Old Mill Printers, Rocky Mount, VA 1998).
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S1900] 1900 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S3070] Court Case, Chancery Records, Henry County, VA. Unknown repository reference. Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S106] Early, R. H. The Family of Early: Which Settled Upon the Eastern Shore of Virginia And Its Connection With Other Families. Lynchburg, Va: [Brown-Morrison], 1920., Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
- [S1910] 1910 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration - Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.
|Last Edited||13 May 2018|