- Hairston Crest Coat of Arms - William Hairstanes of Craigs
- Agnes Hairstanes - Covenantor Imprisoned For Her Beliefs - 1685
- Lady Alva, Lady Glenorchy and the Countess of Sutherland
- Janet Harestanes - Charged with witchcraft
- Johne Hairstanes - 1632
- 2012 Scotland Research Trip
GENEALOGY BRICK WALLS - Who Are TheyPlease let me know if you have any documentation relating to the parents of the following individuals.
- Peter Hairston - Peter "The Immigrant", born about 1695 in Ireland or Scotland. Who was his father? Was he the same Peter Hairston that signed the land lease in Ireland in 1726? When did he die and where?
- Agnes - Irish Lady of Rank - what was the maiden name of Agnes? What is a "Irish Lady of Rank"? Was she from a wealthy family in Ireland? Was she related to Sir Robert Adair, the owner of the land Peter Hairston rented in 1726? Or, did someone just add this title to her to make her sound more interesting?
- (Daughter) Hairston Phillips - Peter "The Immigrant" had a daughter that married a Mr. Phillips and had two children named Samuel and Jane. Jane later married a Mr. Jackson sometime between 1782 and 1803. She is listed in the 1828 probate of Samuel Hairston's will. Who were Mr. Phillips and Mr. Jackson? What happened to Samuel Phillips? There is a Richard Phillips listed in the Bedford County Order Books in 1754 living near Samuel Hairston.
- Susannah Hairston Susanna Hairston is a daughter of Andrew Hairston, is mentioned his will 1771, in Samuel Hairston's will of 1782, in probate records 1828. Who did she marry and have a child named Sally. Susanna died before 1814.
- Nancey Hairston - She appears in the 1800 Federal Census of Newberry District, South Carolina and she is between 26 and 44 years old. This is all the information I have on her.
- William B. Hairston - who is William B. Hairston. He appears in the 1850 Federal Census of Shelby County, TN with is wife Harriet and 4 children.
- John L. Hairston born in 1811 and married Elizabeth. They are in Hinds County, Mississippi in 1850 and 1860. Then he is in Falls County, Texas in 1880. He was born in South Carolina, as were both of his parents. Who are his parents?
This is an ongoing project compiling many, many years of research by Victor Hairston, the late Edward J. Bregenzer and myself, Robert E. Hairston, Jr. When looking at the Reference page you will see that there was a tremendous amount of research by other people that we relied upon. Victor and Ed concentrated their research on the descendants of Peter's sons Andrew and Peter. My research is on Peter’s son Robert and records prior to 1750 in Scotland, Ireland and America. We all relied on the published publications by Elizabeth Seawell Hairston (1855-1944), Ruth Hairston Early (1849-1928) and Judge Peter W. Hairston, III (1913-2007).
There are errors in this website and in the genealogy books in libraries. Please let me know when you find errors on this website and I will correct them. There are many instances when old documents have conflicting information. In thoses cases I will try to note those difference.
Records of living people and most people born after 1940 are not listed for privacy reasons. Keep in mind, the 1940 Federal Census has been released and information for people born before 1940 is available on the internet, living or dead. Be careful when you use your mother’s maiden name or other family information as a password for a financial institution or website.
REFERENCES - SOURCES (partial)
Repositories (Libraries, archives, courthouses, etc. - many with searchable online records)
Library of Virginia - Online Catalog - Archives & Manuscripts (there is a wealth of information in the microfilm records in the Richmond Library)
Hathi Trust Digital Library (great source for searching printed books, you can use this website to search a book for a specfic word such as "Hairston" and quite often you will find a search word not found in the books index)
Google Books (great source for searching printed books, you can use this website to search a book for a specfic word such as "Hairston" and quite often you will find a search word not found in the books index)
Bassett Historical Center Bassett, Virginia
Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society Dumfries, Scotland
Scotlands People ($ membership)
Ancestry.com ($ membership, be careful of member family trees that are often full of errors and sometimes made by students as school projects)
FamilySearch.org (free, great source for census and other government records)
Find A Grave (free, good site for looking up cemetery markers, however, people are allowed to make virtual cemetery listings for individuals without graves or grave markers, also the relatives that are listed are sometimes incorrect and incomplete. Lisitngs with photos of the grave markers are very helpful.)
Printed Publications (partial listing of the many sources used creating this website)
Carl Greenway Letters, 1965-1966, Bassett Historical Library, Bassett, Virginia.
Early, Ruth Hairston, Campbell Chronicles and Family Sketches, J. P. Bell Company, Lynchburg, Virginia, 1927.
Edgar, Robert, An Introduction the the History of Dumfries, J. Maxwell & Sons, Dumfries, Scotland, 1915.
Ellis, Rebecca Hairston, Dr P. C. Hairston, 1971.
Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, VA 1940.
Hairston, Peter W., J. E. B. Stuart's Letters to His Hairston Kin, 1850-1855, edited and reprinted from the Historical Review, Volume LI, Number 3, Summer 1974.
Hairston, Peter W., The Cooleemee Plantation and Its People, Lexington, NC, Davidson Community College, 1986.
Hall, Wm. K., Descendants of Nicholas Perkins of Virginia, Edwards Brothers, Inc., Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1957.
Leyburn, James G., The Scotch-Irish; A Social History, The University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, 1962
Mayhill, Thomas R., Lancaster County Pennsylvania Deed Abstracts & Revolutionary War Oaths of Allegiance, The Bookmark, Knightstown, IN, 1979.
Woods, Re. Edgar, Albemarle County in Virginia, The Michie Company, Charlottsville, VA, 1901.
Hairston, Peter W., The Stories of Beaver Creek, 2003.
Hairston, Peter W., The Stories of Berry Hill, 2005.
Hairston, Victor Edmund & Bregenzer, Ed., The Hairston History, Ft. Worth, Texas, 1998.
Hairston, Nicholas E. Jr., Grave Markers Hairston Cemetery, Lowndes County, Mississippi.