HAIRSTON.org ID#772, b. 1 August 1781, d. 8 January 1865
|Father*||Col. James CALLAWAY b. 25 Dec 1735, d. 1 Nov 1809|
|Mother*||Elizabeth EARLY b. 3 Feb 1759, d. 1796|
|Birth*||John CALLAWAY was born on 1 August 1781 in Rocky Hill, Henry County, Virginia.|
|He was the son of Col. James CALLAWAY and Elizabeth EARLY.|
|Marriage*||John CALLAWAY married Mary Polly HAIRSTON, daughter of Col. Samuel HAIRSTON and Judith Sparrell SAUNDERS, on 7 December 1809 in Franklin Co., Virginia.1,2,3|
|Census 1820*||John CALLAWAY appeared on the census of 7 August 1820 in Franklin County, Virginia, Male: <10 1, 10-15 1, 26-44 1, Female; under 10 1, 26-44 2, Slaves 20.4|
|Marriage*||He married America HAIRSTON, daughter of Gen. George Stovall HAIRSTON and Elizabeth PERKINS, on 14 January 1821 in Henry County, Virginia.5,6,1,3|
|Will||John CALLAWAY was mentioned in the will of Gen. George Stovall HAIRSTON on 7 March 1826; On 7 March 1826, George added a codicil to his will regarding the death of his daughter America. George gives America's share of his estate to her son George Callawy. In this document he also mentions John Callaway, Ruth Callaway.7|
|Census 1830*||John CALLAWAY appeared on the census of 1830 in Bedford County, Virginia, Males; 20-29 1, Females; under 5 1, 20-29 1, Slaves; 46.8|
|Census 1840*||He appeared on the census of 1840 in Bedford County, Virginia, Males; 5-9 1, 30-39 2, Females; under 5 1, 30-39 1; Slaves 37.9|
|Census 1850 Agri*||He appeared on the census of 6 September 1850 in Henry County, Virginia, agriculture census lists 150 acres improved land.10|
|Census 1850*||He appeared on the census of 21 September 1850 in Henry County, Virginia, John Callaway 68, George Callaway 27, Barnabas Balile 26 (overseer).11|
|Census 1850 Slave*||He was listed as a slave owner in the 1850 Slave Inhabitants census on 26 October 1850 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, lists John Callaway as owning over 41 slaves.12|
|Census 1860*||He appeared on the census of 8 August 1860 in Henry County, Virginia, John Callaway 78, Geo. Callaway 38, Eliza M Davis 48, James Headen 21 (laborer).13|
|Census 1860 Slave*||He was as a slave owner lists 42 slaves on 9 August 1860 in Northern District, Bedford County, Virginia.14|
|Death*||He died on 8 January 1865 at age 83.|
|Burial*||He was buried in Beaver Creek Plantation, Henry County, Virginia.5|
|Mary Polly HAIRSTON b. bt 1800 - 1810|
|America HAIRSTON b. 21 Feb 1801, d. 16 Mar 1826|
|Charts||Descendant Chart (#1)|
Descendant Chart (#2)
Descendant Chart Box (#1)
Descendant Chart Box (#2)
- [S106] Early, R. H. The Family of Early: Which Settled Upon the Eastern Shore of Virginia And Its Connection With Other Families. Lynchburg, Va: [Brown-Morrison], 1920., Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S110] Unknown author. Dodd, Jordan R., et al.. Early American Marriages: Virginia to 1850, Precision Indexing Publishers, Bountiful, UT. N.p.: n.pub.
- [S3074] Hale, Nathaniel Claiborne, Roots In Virginia: an Account of Captain Thomas Hale, Virginia Frontiersman, His Descendants And Related Families. With Genealogies And Sketches of Hale, Saunders, Lucke, Claiborne, Lacy, Tobin And Contributing Ancestral Lines. Philadelphia?, 1948.
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89066151580, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- [S1820] 1820 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S15] Beaver Creek Plantation Cemetery, Henry County, Virginia.
- [S67] Dodd, Virginia Anderson, Henry County, Virginia, Marriage Bonds, 1778-1849, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. Baltimore 1976.
- [S3296] Will of George Stovall Hairston -1820 - copy of will recorded in case #1833-008, Amos A. Atkinson & Wife vs. Exrs. of George Hairston, Chancery Records, Library of Virginia, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S1830] 1830 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1840] 1840 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S108] 1850 Agriculture Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1850] 1850 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S10] 1850 Slave Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S107] 1860 Slave Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
|Last Edited||19 Jul 2017|