Peter HAIRSTON Jr.
HAIRSTON.org ID#32, b. about 1715, d. before 1782
|Father*||Peter HAIRSTON b. a 1695|
|Mother*||Agnes "Irish Lady of Rank" (surname unknown)|
|Birth*||Peter HAIRSTON Jr. was born about 1715 in Ireland.|
|He was the son of Peter HAIRSTON and Agnes "Irish Lady of Rank" (surname unknown).|
|Marriage*||Peter HAIRSTON Jr. married Agnes (surname unknown) about 1740. Her name Agnes is listed in the 1762 deed for the sale of the North Garden land.1,2,3|
|Court Record*||Robinson vs Hearstone, Dec 1743 - " In the Action of trespass on the Case betweeen James Robinson Plt. and Peter Hearstone Deft. the Deft. failing to appear on the motion of teh Plt. it ordered that an Alias Capias do issue agt. the Deft. returnable to the next Court." Goochland County Court Order Book, page 331.4|
|County Change*||Albemarle County formed from Goochland County - 1744.5|
|Court Record||Robinson vs. Hearstone, Mar 1744 - "The Action of Trespass on the case between James Robinson (Plantiff) & Peter Hearstone (Defendant) is dismissed with no prosecution. Goochland County Court Order Book 5, page 380.4|
|Property*||Peter Hairstone acquired a patent for 250 acres in the "North Garden" of Goochland County, Virginia next to land owned by Robert Lewis. Robert Lewis was the grandfather of Meriwether Lewis of the Lewis & Clark Expedition. |
Peter's property was in Albemarle County when the patent was recorded, however, it was surveyed prior to 1744 when this land was in Goochland County. Source: Land Office Patents No. 25, 1745-1747, p. 528 (Reel 23). Library of Virginia.
Peter and his wife Agnes sold this land on 24 October 1762.
Thomas Jefferson lived nearby, close to the Rivanna River.6,7
|Property||28 April 1752 Albemarle County, Virginia - John Bays has survey of 90 acres joining Peter Hairstone, Robert Lewis, William Brannum (Bramham) and Thomas Evans. 2 June 1752, page 220.8|
|Property||14 August 1760 Albemarle County, Virginia - John Lankford Jr. has a survey of 148 acres joining Peter Hairston, John Lankford Sr., Thomas Evans and Ben Wheeler. 14 August 1760, page 51.8|
|Property||15 August 1760 Albemarle County, Virginia - West Lankford has a survey of 175 acres joining Peter Hairston, Jacob Watts, Sam Arnold and John Lankford. 15 August 1760, page 54.8|
|Property||Peter Hairstone and his wife Agnes sold 250 acres in the North Garden of Albemarle County (formerly Goochland County) to Joseph Dawson of Amherst County on 24 Oct 1762. This is the land next to Robert Lewis. Albemarle County Deed Book 3, page 242. There is a Joseph Dawson that married a Judith Dudley in Goochland County on 20 Nov 1753 (from Douglas Register).3|
|Immigration||About 1762, Peter Hairston Jr. and family moved from North Garden, Albemarle County (formerly Goochland), Virginia to Abbeville District, South Carolina.2|
|Property||John Bays acquires a patent on 90 acres in North Garden next to Peter Harston, Colo. Robert Lewis, Thomas Evans and William Brannum in Albemarle County on 30 Aug 1763. He lekely surveyed this property before 24 Oct 1762 when Peter Hairston was still a neighbor.6|
|Property||John Moore acquired a patent for 124 acres in the North Garden of Albemarle County next to Peter Hairston, Robert Day, Frederick Hix and Robert Lewis on 14 Jul 1769. He likely surveyed this property before 24 Oct 1762 when Peter Hairston was still a neighbor.6|
|Death*||Peter probably died between 1762 and 1782. I have not found any mention of Peter Hairston Jr. in South Carolina or Virginia after the sale of the North Garden property in 1762.|
|Agnes (surname unknown)|
Descendant Chart Box
- [S46] The Hairston History, Vic Hairston and Edward J. Bregenzer, February 12, 1998. Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S247] Carl Greenway letters relating to Hairston genealogy dated 1965-1966 to various people - Carl Greenway (1917-1974) was a Hairston relative and family genealogist, more information about Carl Greenway can be found here: https://www.hairston.org/p4445.htm
- [S3411] Davis, Bailey Fulton, Albemarle County Virginia Deed Book 3, 1760-1763. Salt Lake City, Utah : Digitized by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 2016, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- [S3080] Blomquist, Ann K., Goochland County Virginia Court Order Book 5, Heritage Books, 2007, Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3417] Doran, Michael, Atlas of Virginia County Boundary Changes, 1634-1895, Iberian Publishing Co., Athens, GA1987., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3124] Hudgins, Dennis R. Cavaliers and Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants : Volume Seven, 1762-1776. Richmond, Va: Virginia Genealogical Society, 1999. Print., Personal Collection - printed book.
- [S3282] Goochland County Virginia Patents 25, 1745-1747, p. 528, Reel 23, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S3094] Grundset, Eric. Land Lying in the County of Albemarle: Albemarle County, Virginia Surveyor's Plat Books, Volumes 1, Part Land 2, and Volume 2, 1744-1853, [and 1892]. Fairfax, Va: E.G. Grundset, 1998. Print., Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
|Last Edited||26 Mar 2018|