Samuel Harden HAIRSTON Jr
HAIRSTON.org ID#123, b. 20 April 1857, d. 12 July 1927
|Father*||Major Samuel Hardin HAIRSTON1 b. 13 Apr 1822, d. 27 Apr 1870|
|Mother*||Alice "Alcey" HAIRSTON2 b. 10 Nov 1830, d. 24 Jul 1914|
|Birth*||Samuel Harden HAIRSTON Jr was born on 20 April 1857 in Henry Co., Virginia. The Hairston Bible shows a birth date of 20 April 1859 and the cemetery marker indciates 20 April 1857.1,3,4|
|He was the son of Major Samuel Hardin HAIRSTON and Alice "Alcey" HAIRSTON.1,2|
|Census 1860||Samuel Harden HAIRSTON Jr appeared on the 1860 census of Major Samuel Hardin HAIRSTON on 27 June 1860 in Henry Co., Virginia; Saml H hairston 38 VA, Alice 29 VA, Hardin 2 VA.5|
|Census 1870||Samuel Harden HAIRSTON Jr appeared on the 1870 census of Alice "Alcey" HAIRSTON on 3 July 1870 in Martinsville, Henry, Virginia; Alice Hairston 39, S. Harden 12, M.R. 6, Sally S. 2.2|
|Census 1880||Samuel Harden HAIRSTON Jr appeared on the 1880 census of Alice "Alcey" HAIRSTON on 7 June 1880 in Martinsville, Henry, Virginia; Alcei 49 VA, Harden 22 VA (Tobacconist), Ruth 16 VA.6|
|Marriage*||Samuel Harden HAIRSTON Jr married Delphine HALL on 19 April 1899; of North Carolina.1,7|
|Census 1900||Samuel Harden HAIRSTON Jr appeared on the 1900 census of Alice "Alcey" HAIRSTON in 1900; Alcey living with Hardin and his wife Delphne.8|
|Census 1910*||Samuel Harden HAIRSTON Jr appeared on the census of April 1910 in Martinsville, Henry Co., Virginia.9 |
|Death*||He died on 12 July 1927 at age 70.3|
|Burial*||He was buried in Berry Hill Plantation, Pittsylvania Co., Virginia.3 |
|Obituary*||Col. Hairston Died Today At Chatmos Home|
Harden Hairston, doubtless the largest land owner in Henry county, died this morning at his home, Chatmos, where for the past week or more his condition had caused increasing anxiety.. Aged about 67, Col. Hairston had for several years suffered from the affection of the heart and since the deathe of his wife not many weeks ago his friends had noted a rapid decline. Col. hairston was born in Henry county and owned the two famous estates, "Chatmos" and "Briarfield", where for years they had regaled their guests to that type of Virginia hospitality which has made the state famous. Col. hairston was a member of a prominent pioneering family of Henry county and fell heir to the estates handed down within the family since the original grants made when Virginia was settled. He was highly successful as a farmer and was a large tobacco raiser.
Col. and Mrs. Harden Hairston had no children. His two sisters are Mrs. Sarah hairston Glenn, of Martinsville, and Mrs. Ruth Simms, of Philadelphia. Not many weeks ago Mrs. Hairstonbecame ill and was brought here from Chatmos for what was to have been treatment. A surgical operation, however, was deemed necessary and she died a few days afterwards. The blow was felt by her husband with crushing force and since that time he had not recovered his poise.
The funeral will be held at Berry Hill Thursday afternoon at 3 o'clock.
The Bee, Danville, Virginia, Tuesday, Juky 12, 1927, Page 1 (Newspapers.com.)
|Delphine HALL b. 20 Apr 1857|
|Charts||Descendant Chart (#1)|
Descendant Chart (#2)
Descendant Chart (#3)
Descendant Chart Box
- [S55] Harden Hairston Family Bible, 1750-1908. The Holy Bible containing The Old & New Testaments: Translated Out of the Original Tongues,.....J. Holbrook's Sterotype Copy., Eighth Edition, Brattleborough, (Vt.), 1817, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
- [S1870] 1870 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S14] Berry Hill Plantation Cemetery, Pittsylvania County, Virginia.
- [S257] Obituary attached to this record.
- [S1860] 1860 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1880] 1880 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S22] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell, The Hairstons and the Penns and Their Relations, Roanoke, Virginia 1940 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=13164, Ancestry.com.
- [S1900] 1900 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
- [S1910] 1910 Federal Census - National Archives and Records Administration.
|Last Edited||10 May 2016|